Ince slams Man Utd handing England trio new contractsby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Manchester United captain Paul Ince has slammed the new contracts handed to three players.Ince questioned the decision to hand new deals to Chris Smalling, Luke Shaw and Jesse Lingard, insisting there are too many players at the club who ‘aren’t fit to wear the shirt.'”When players like Chris Smalling, Luke Shaw and Jesse Lingard are getting long-term contracts, it shows how backward they are going,” Ince told Paddy Power.“Give them two or three-year contracts to keep them hungry, but don’t spoil them when they aren’t good enough for the club anyway.”He continued: “A resounding issue at the club is that there are far too many players who aren’t fit to wear the shirt. Something has got to give.“I’m not one to call for Jose Mourinho’s head, but something urgently needs to change. The board need to decide whether they’re going to pay him off or give him more money for players.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Cardiff boss Warnock: Poor start handed Spurs winby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveCardiff City boss Neil Warnock admits they were never in the game for defeat to Tottenham.Cardiff lost 3-0 at home via goals to Harry Kane, Christian Eriksen and Son Heung-min.Warnock said: “When we start off like that we shoot ourselves in the foot. All the planning goes out of the window. The goals were disappointing but they were too good for us in the first half. But that’s life and you move on.”I was pleased we hung in there because it’s easy to throw the towel in when you’re 3-0 down to a team like this. Four points in three games over a difficult period is good really.”We have had a great season so far. Players were told what they were doing and two or three let me down a little in that respect defensively today. We were playing for pride in the end.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Southampton midfielder Ward-Prowse: We must regroup during international breakby Paul Vegas14 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveSouthampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse says they need to regroup during this international break.Saints lost their third top-flight game in a row on Sunday when they were comfortably beaten 4-1 by Chelsea at St Mary’s. Ward-Prowse said: “I think certainly it will be a case of having a look at ourselves individually and collectively.“First of all, we need to see what we ourselves as individuals need to do and change to bring to the table.“We’ve got a good period of time to work on a few things during the international break, so it will be a good time to work on them.“I think we all, individually, need to be better.“We’ve had an OK start to the season with a few good results here and there, but we need to be consistently better.“We want to start taking points off the big teams and we need to get that belief and drive back to do it again.”
Real Madrid have confirmed goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is set for a spell on the sidelines after suffering an injury to the left iliac muscle.The Belgium international has joined an increasingly long list of players in the treament room at the Santiago Bernabeu, with the likes of Marcos Llorente, Marco Asensio, Gareth Bale, Toni Kroos and Mariano Diaz also out of action at present.It’s believed that Courtois’ injury will keep him out for around a fortnight, with Keylor Navas set to deputise for the Galacticos in his absence. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? A Real Madrid statement read: “Following tests carried out on our player Thibaut Courtois today by the Real Madrid Medical Services, he has been diagnosed with a grade I injury in the left iliac muscle. His recovery will be monitored.”Courtois completed the full 90 minutes in Real’s previous match, a 2-0 loss at home to Real Sociedad and he is also believed to have trained for the majority of this week in the build-up to his side’s Copa del Rey tie against Leganes on Wednesday.Navas, who had been Real’s number one goalkeeper up until Courtois’ summer arrival, was expected to start their latest cup clash regardless, but the former Chelsea stopper is now likely to miss both legs of the tie, as well as the club’s upcoming league matches against Real Betis and Sevilla.Santiago Solari’s side are in desperate need of some positive results after their defeat to Sociedad left them languishing in fifth place in La Liga and 10 points adrift of leaders Barcelona.The 13-time Champions League winners have endured an extremely underwhelming season to date, having only won half of their 18 league matches so far and losing six.Former Spain boss Julen Lopetegui was in charge at the beginning of the season, only to be sacked in late October after a poor start to the season.
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino admits his side do not yet have the finances to compete with Europe’s elite clubs.Pochettino failed to make a single signing during the summer transfer window and has yet to bring in any new faces this month either.The Argentine has come under increasing pressure to dip into the transfer market after Harry Kane and Dele Alli were ruled out until March with ankle and hamstring injuries respectively. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? The club’s faltering form, which saw them go out of the Carabao Cup and FA Cup in the space of four days last week, has also led to calls for Pochettino to freshen up his squad.However, the former Southampton boss insists he will not simply buy for the sake of it and is prepared to make do with his current squad if the right players are not available.Pochettino concedes Spurs cannot compete at the top end of the transfer market, despite currently sitting third in the Premier League and reaching the knockout stages of the Champions League.Their financial situation has not been helped by costs surrounding their new stadium, which they hope to finally move into in March.The 46-year-old cites Premier League leaders Liverpool, who spent in the region of £145million ($189.3m) on two players – defender Virgil van Dijk and goalkeeper Alisson – last year, as an example of a club which is in a different league financially.“Liverpool need a defender, they get Van Dijk, they need a goalkeeper, who’s the best? Alisson. It’s the same as Manchester City,” Pochettino told ESPN.“In the end, it’s valid as Real Madrid and Barcelona do the same because they’re on a different level.“At the moment, Tottenham haven’t reached that level so when we can’t buy a washing machine, we get a dryer that can do the same job.“Instead of a sofa, we get a chair where you can also sit.“That’s the difference between Tottenham and the teams that are built to win.”After their double cup disappointment, Tottenham return to Premier League action on Wednesday evening against Watford.Pochettino’s side can move to within two points of second-placed Manchester City with a victory over the Hornets at Wembley.
The U.S. women’s national team has announced World Cup victory tour matches against Portugal in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and St. Paul, Minnesota. Following the team’s World Cup win in France, they will embark on a five-game tour to celebrate their fourth world title and second in a row. The team’s first match, against the Republic of Ireland at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, has already been confirmed for August 3. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Now there are two more matches on the calendar, both against Portugal. The USWNT will take on the European side on August 29 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, before another match on September 3 at Allianz Field in St. Paul.The second game will mark the first time the USWNT has played at Allianz Field, which opened earlier this year and is home to MLS side Minnesota United.”It’s always fun to play in cities that we haven’t been to that much and with the opening of the new stadium for Minnesota United, it’s awesome that we’ll get to play in St. Paul this fall in a world-class facility that is another sign of the growth of soccer in the USA,” USWNT midfielder Rose Lavelle said in a news release.Meanwhile, the match in Philadelphia will be the fourth time the USWNT have played at Lincoln Financial Field, home of the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles.The U.S. victory tour will conclude with games on October 3 and 6, with the opponents and venues yet to be announced. The roster for the victory tour will be the same 23 players that made up the squad that ultimately lifted the trophy in France after a 2-0 win over the Netherlands in the final.
(Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)One of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the country announced his college commitment late on Sunday night. His decision is a surprising one.Terrance Gipson, the No. 10 dual-threat quarterback recruit in the 2019 class per 247Sports, had scholarship offers from Nebraska and Virginia, and programs like Arizona, Oregon and Texas were expressing interest, too.The 6-foot quarterback, though, has decided to commit to SMU.He announced his decision on Twitter.“Its a blessing and all glory to god, thanks to every supporter and doubter, i am happy to say i will be COMMITTING to Sourthern Methodist University 19’ Takeover,” he wrote.You can view the full announcement below:Its a blessing and all glory to god, thanks to every supporter and doubter, i am happy to say i will be COMMITTING to Sourthern Methodist University ❗️ 19’Takeover ?? pic.twitter.com/1SmgYY6JsJ— p.oppaa (@te_gipson1) June 3, 2018Gipson is a Houston native. He’s the second commitment in SMU’s 2019 class.You can view the Mustangs’ full class here.
LINCOLN, NE – OCTOBER 25: A flag bearer for the Nebraska Cornhuskers waves a flag after the first score during their game against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Memorial Stadium on October 25, 2014 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Nebraska defeated Rutgers 42-24. (Photo by Eric Francis/Getty Images)A former Nebraska quarterback announced his decision to transfer from the Huskers program after Scott Frost took over. Former four-star quarterback recruit Patrick O’Brien announced his intentions to head elsewhere.Although he’s a talented quarterback, O’Brien’s skillset didn’t fit Scott Frost’s offense. He’s a pro-style QB that likes to sit in the pocket, meanwhile the Huskers’ will be running a more up-tempo offense under Frost.O’Brien visited Butch Davis at Florida International, and just two weeks ago he visited Mike Bobo and the Colorado State Rams.O’Brien decided he likes Fort Collins.I am so thankful to be given another opportunity to play football at another amazing university. With that I am excited to announce my commitment to Colorado State. pic.twitter.com/gowLL8oMXZ— Patrick O’Brien™ (@oneandonlyPOB) June 8, 2018O’Brien was the No. 10 pro-style quarterback recruit in the 2016 class. Many believed he should have taken over for a struggling Tanner Lee during the 2017 season, though that obviously did not end up happening.This way he’ll have an opportunity to fight for a starting spot at his new program.We wish him luck.
Week 7 was a wild one in college football. Four different top-10 teams lost, including Georgia, who was previously unbeaten.The polls will change a lot this week. Beyond the top four teams, things start to get murky.As he does every Sunday, Stadium’s college football insider Brett McMurphy released his official AP Top 25 ballot. McMurphy has made some adjustments from last week’s ballot.My new AP Top 25 ballot by conference: SEC 6, Big Ten 4, Pac-12 4, AAC 3, Big 12 3, ACC 2, MWC 2, Notre Dame #APTop25 @WatchStadium https://t.co/RaYhTRbCbQ— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) October 14, 2018Here is his full list.AlabamaOhio StateNotre DameClemsonLSUMichiganFloridaTexasGeorgiaOklahomaWest VirginiaUCFOregonWashingtonKentuckyNC StateTexas A&MWashington StatePenn StateColoradoUSFCincinnatiIowaUtah StateFresno StateTypically, McMurphy will discuss his ballot via video on Sunday afternoon. Be on the lookout for that later.The Coaches’ Poll was released earlier today, and the full AP poll is expected out at 2 p.m. ET.
Four-star quarterback Jack Miller revealed his commitment to the Ohio State Buckeyes over the summer. Miller made the announcement on July 1 via Twitter.On Thursday, he shared some tough news. Miller revealed his junior season has come to an end after he suffered high-grade MCL sprain earlier in the season.With just a few games remaining in the year, Miller hoped to gut it out, but he made the smart choice to shut down the season and get healthy for his senior campaign.The 2020 recruit shared the following on Twitter: “This has been an unforgettable season with my teammates but due to my knee injury my doctor will not clear me to return to the field, I’m recovering great and I will be back better! My boys got this!”This has been an unforgettable season with my teammates but due to my knee injury my doctor will not clear me to return to the field, I’m recovering great and I will be back better! My boys got this! #ctown— Jack Miller (@jackjamesmiller) October 25, 2018Miller is the No. 4 pro-style quarterback in the 2020 class and the No. 63 recruit overall. He held 19 offers from the likes of Alabama and Auburn, but decided Columbus is the place for him.