Messi deal “impossible” – Holland

first_img The Barclays Premier League leaders have been linked with Messi following claims in Spain this week that the 27-year-old’s relationship with Barca coach Luis Enrique has broken down. Assistant-coach Steve Holland believes the sums involved in luring Messi away from the Nou Camp make the transfer impossible for any club. Facing the media in place of absent manager Jose Mourinho, Holland said on Friday: “Jose has made it quite clear that in this window his expectation is that nobody comes and nobody goes. “I recall him this time last year saying a similar thing, but a couple of things happened that made us reactive. Manchester United made a huge bid for Juan Mata. Sometimes you have to react. “But the hope and expectation is that nobody leaves and nobody comes. We’re happy with what we have. “This club conforms with financial fair play – we’ve brought one or two players in over the last 12 months but it’s quite clear that players have been sold to balance the books. “When you look at the numbers being mentioned around the Messi deal, I think it’s almost an impossible deal for any club working within the restraints of financial fair play.” Holland spoke to the media after Mourinho had withdrawn from the press conference to preview Saturday’s Premier League clash with Newcastle at Stamford Bridge in response to be being charged with misconduct by the Football Association. Mourinho faces possible disciplinary action for the comments made about match officials after last month’s 1-1 draw with Southampton, in which he spoke of a “clear campaign” against Chelsea. The Portuguese claimed the campaign is being orchestrated by “people, pundits, commentators and coaches from other teams” and labelled the booking of Cesc Fabregas for diving at St Mary’s on December 28 a “scandal”. Holland insists Mourinho has not been affected by the possibility of facing disciplinary action and insists he has the full support of the club. “Jose has been fine, very focused on the game against Newcastle, as we all are,” Holland said. “There is a frustration with all of us, it’s not just Jose but the coaching staff and players, at the accumulation of events that surfaced at the Southampton game with the decisions over Cesc. And to compound that he received a booking. “The scrutiny managers are under these days… I spoke to another manager the other day about a different matter and he said he couldn’t remember there being such an intensive period of games as this season. “That’s a view I’d share. The amount of games has been relentless and there has been a small period of time between the games. “At Chelsea every match is high profile with many live on TV. It’s human nature that at times the leader has those moments. Jose’s had the right influence on the players and is a highly-experienced manager.” Chelsea have seen an eight-point lead at the summit of the Premier League reeled in by Manchester City and now top the table on alphabetical order alone ahead of Newcastle’s visit. “When you have a lead like we had, people make a lot of it. And when that lead goes, people make a lot of that,” Holland said. “Nobody here felt it was ever a conclusive margin that meant the story was over. This is the most competitive league in the world. At any moment points can be dropped. “We’re disappointed we don’t have more of a cushion now, but at the same time the players have had an incredible first half of the season.” Chelsea have distanced themselves from the prospect of making a £500million move for Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi. Press Associationlast_img read more

Police Investigate weekend firearm related incidences

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, February 27, 2017 – Providenciales – Police are investigating a number of firearm related incidents that occurred on Providenciales over the weekend.   Around 11:26pm on Saturday 27th February 2017, complainant reported to the Police that he had just arrived home in an area in Five Cays, when he was approached by an unknown masked man dressed in full dark clothing with a gun in his hand and demanded money.   The culprit struck him on the right side of his face with the gun after he told him he had no money.  The victim was taken to the Cheshire Hall Medical Centre where he was treated and later discharged.At 1:53am on Sunday 26th February 2017, Police responded to an area on the Leeward Highway to a report of an Attempted Robbery and Discharging of Firearm.  The complainant was met and told officers that he was alerted of someone in his yard and upon making checks he noticed three (3) masked men dressed in white clothes trying to break into his home.  He also stated that they attempted to break into his neighbor’s house and fired three gunshots before making off.   Checks were made in the area but no one was seen.Also on Sunday 26th February 2017 around 8:25 pm, Police responded to the an area on the South Dock Road and met a complainant who told officers that upon her arrival at home, she was approached by a masked short built dark male who came out of the bushes, pointed a gun at her and demanded money.   The culprit escaped on foot with a brown MK purse which contained a small amount of cash and Insurance Cards. The victim was taken to the Cheshire Hall Medical Centre for treatment due to minor abrasions received on her arm.   Investigations are ongoing in these incidence.If you have any information regarding these incidence, contact the police at Chalk Sound Police at 338-5901/941-8067 or contact Crimestoppers at 1-800-8477. The information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind you not to report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter page.Press Release: RTCIPF#MagneticMediaNews Recommended for you Related Items:#magneticmedianews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp ALERT # 2 ON POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE NINE ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY THURSDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2019 AT 9 PM EDT Electricity Cost of Service Study among the big agenda items at September 11 Cabinet meeting The Luxury of Grace Bay in Down Town Provolast_img read more

USJapan ally reaffirmed

first_imgUS Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is making his first major foray into crisis diplomacy, visiting a region roiled by North Korean threats. AFP PhotoThe United States’ top diplomat was in Tokyo on Thursday to reassure allies that Washington stands with them in the face of the accelerating missile threat from North Korea.Secretary of State Rex Tillerson began his first Asian tour in Japan’s capital and was to hold talks with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and foreign minister Fumio Kishida.He brings with him greetings from President Donald Trump, who caused consternation during his White House campaign by suggesting US allies need to do more to defend themselves.But Tillerson, the former oilman Trump chose to head his diplomatic team, is expected to reaffirm support for Japan and South Korea, where he journeys Friday, before heading to China on Saturday.There, he will urge his hosts to pressure Kim Jong-Un’s regime to halt Pyongyang’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs before committing to eventual peace talks.It is Tillerson’s first major foray into crisis diplomacy, after brief trips to Bonn and Mexico City, but he has not managed to leave Washington controversy behind him.A small group of American expats protested outside the US embassy in Tokyo, demanding the former ExxonMobil chief executive respect the Paris climate change accord.And, back home, arguments raged over his decision to break with 50 years of tradition by refusing to allow the Washington diplomatic press corps to fly on his plane.Some 20 US-based reporters flew commercially to Japan to follow the visit, but only one, a hand-picked writer from a small conservative outlet, was allowed on his jet.- Deep cuts -Back home, Trump will unveil his budget blueprint later Thursday.Former top diplomats have denounced the plan — which will call for slashing State Department funding by 28 percent — as a hammer blow to US influence.Tillerson, while keeping a low public profile, appears, however, ready to cautiously support deep cuts.State Department officials insist that the focus of the trip will be North Korea and efforts to rebalance commerce without provoking a trade war with the Chinese giant.Acting spokesman Mark Toner told reporters this week that efforts to convince China to pressure North Korea were the “looming challenge” in trans-Pacific relations.”He’s going to have an opportunity at every stop to talk about next steps or what we do now, with respect to North Korea,” he said.After Tokyo, Tillerson will fly on to Seoul for talks with South Korea’s acting leader, and at the weekend he heads to Beijing, amid reports he will seek to finalise plans for Chinese leader Xi Jinping to visit Trump in April.In a news conference on Wednesday, Premier Li Keqiang said “there are bright prospects for China-US cooperation.”- ‘Head-on collision’ -US officials have been spooked by North Korea’s accelerating progress towards building an intercontinental ballistic missile that could threaten US mainland cities.China is perhaps the last country with significant leverage over North Korea, which has ignored several rounds of UN-backed sanctions targeting its banned weapons program.Beijing shares US concerns over Pyongyang’s attempts to build an arsenal of nuclear devices, but has been much more measured in its reaction to the ballistic missile program.Xi’s government is publicly more concerned about Washington’s decision to deploy the THAAD missile defence program in South Korea.Washington insists THAAD is a defensive system deployed to protect the South and US bases, but China fears its advanced radar system undermines China’s nuclear deterrent.In recent comments, China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi implied the United States and North Korea were equally at fault and moving towards a “head-on collision”.last_img read more

Life Expectancy In Houston Can Vary Up To 20 Years Depending On

first_img Listen Courtesy of UT Southwestern Medical Center To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Life expectancy in Harris County can vary by about 20 years between ZIP codes,  according to new research by UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.Across the county, the average life expectancy is 78.9 years. But the researchers found it ranges from 69.8 years in the 77026 ZIP code, which encompasses Kashmere Gardens, to 89.7 years in the 77073 ZIP code, which includes an area along the Interstate 45 corridor, north of Greenspoint Mall.In Texas, the numbers vary even more – up to 30 years between some ZIP codes. While the statewide life expectancy is 78.5 years, the longest life expectancy is in the 78634 ZIP code in Hutto, Texas (97 years). The 76104 ZIP code in Forth Worth has the shortest (66.7 years).Dr. Sandi Pruitt, an Assistant Professor of Population and Data Sciences at UT Southwestern and the lead investigator of the study, said she found the results “striking.”“The idea to show life expectancy down to the ZIP code level was really to dig into the variation that we suspected was there,” she said. “I think we all knew that we could observe some variation, but that was quite large.”Pruitt said more research is needed to better understand the discrepancies, but one factor they did look at was neighborhood poverty rates.“That’s a known factor that’s related to life expectancy,” she said. “And what we find is that in ZIP codes across the state with very low poverty — less than five percent of their population live in poverty — the mean life expectancy was 82.4 years.”However, in ZIP codes where over 20 percent of the population lives in poverty, the average life expectancy was just 76.4, she said.“What we hope is that different communities are able to explore these maps and to learn more about the health in their own backyard,” Pruitt said. “And that they’ll be able to think through possible reasons why this is happening.”In addition to mapping life expectancy by ZIP code, the data also tracks how gender and race/ethnicity impact average lifespan.Women in Texas live an average of 5.2 years longer than men. And Hispanic life expectancy was three years longer than white life expectancy and 5.9 years longer than black life expectancy.Explore the full interactive map, here.center_img X 00:00 /00:52 Sharelast_img read more

BJP gloats over articles slamming Jawaharlal Nehru Sonia Gandhi

first_imgThe BJP on Monday gloated over Congress’ embarrassment following publication of articles critical of Jawaharlal Nehru and Sonia Gandhi in its mouthpiece, saying the “truth” it had been “hiding” has come out. Rubbing salt in the wound of ex-Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam, who is the editor of the journal, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar “congratulated” him and quipped he was known for such write-ups when he was the editor of the Hindi edition Shiv Sena mouthpiece ‘Dopahar Ka Saamana’. Nirupam, who was in Sena before he joined Congress, is also the president of Mumbai Regional Congress Committee, which publishes the magazine ‘Congress Darshan’. Though initially Nirupam sought to wash his hands off the controversy by claiming he had nothing to do with the articles, he later admitted the “mistake” and sacked the editorial content in-charge.  Also Read – Punjab on alert after release of excess water from Bhakra dam“The Congress journal which is named Congress Darshan should be called ‘Satyarth Darshan’ (sight of truth). It is significant that it has come on the 131st foundation day of the party. Sardar Patel had maximum support in Congress to become the prime minister but Gandhiji proposed Nehru and kept Patel at a bay. “Patel merged 562 provinces into India and Nehru was in charge of only Kashmir and it remains a problem. Patel had warned about China’s betrayal on Tibet… This is not BJP or Javadekar saying so but the mouthpiece of Congress. What Congress had been hiding has come out. I congratulate Nirupam,” Javadekar said.last_img read more

Prasenjit summoned by ED over Rose Valley scam

first_imgKolkata: Eminent Tollywood actor Prasenjit Chatterjee has been summoned by the Enforcement Directorate (ED), in connection with the Rose Valley chit fund scam case. He has been asked to appear before the investigating officers on July 19 at the ED office in Salt Lake Central Government Office (CGO) Complex.According to sources, a few days ago ED sleuths had interrogated Rose Valley chief Gautam Kundu again in judicial custody. During the questioning, they acquired information regarding Chatterjee having some connection with Kundu. The actor was also seen in several programmes of Rose Valley. ED sleuths are investigating the case to identify whether any financial transaction was made between Chatterjee and Kundu. Chatterjee will be asked about his connection with Rose valley if he appears on July 19. Chatterjee said in response to the same on Tuesday: “I will definitely cooperate with the investigation.”last_img read more