Hart to keep City place after win

first_img Afterwards, Pellegrini said he had seen enough to confirm Hart will face Liverpool. He said: “We don’t know what will happen in the future, today, what Joe did I think he did it well. “We’ll see what will happen, every match we can play with different 11 starters, but at the moment Joe will continue to play in the next game. “At the moment he deserved to play today and he also deserves to continue. “When I put (Costel) Pantilimon in the starting XI I spoke with Joe and he understood that he was not in a good moment. “Maybe seven games after, one month after, he’s working very hard, and I thought that he deserved another opportunity, and I think he did it well. “It was a tough decision (to change the goalkeeper) because we were winning. I think Pantilimon was doing well also but I thought that this game was better for Joe to play. “I think that we have a squad, and I have to make the decision every week who will play, not only Joe Hart.” Hart made his first Premier League start since October 27 in City’s 4-2 win over Fulham at Craven Cottage. The England goalkeeper was helpless to stop Vincent Kompany’s looping own goal drop into the net as Fulham clambered from 2-0 to draw level in the second half, before City replied with late goals from Jesus Navas and James Milner to take the win. Joe Hart will keep his place in the Manchester City side for the Boxing Day clash against Liverpool after making his first Premier League appearance in almost two months against Fulham, manager Manuel Pellegrini confirmed. City had eased into a 2-0 lead after half-time thanks to Yaya Toure’s free-kick and a goal at the right end for Kompany. But things changed after the break as the strong winds which had been behind City’s backs in the first half began howling in their faces. “It was a really difficult match: the pitch wasn’t good and it was very windy,” Pellegrini added. “Fulham are a tough team at home and they defend very well. “We started well but after slipping back Navas and Milner made huge contributions.” Kieran Richardson got Fulham’s first before a bizarre own goal from Kompany, who sliced what should have been a routine clearance up and over Hart. Pellegrini praised his players for not panicking when Fulham levelled the match. He said: “We had at least three clear chances to score more goals and normally when you miss chances the other team will score. “The second goal was very bad luck, and it would be impossible to repeat. “These things happen and I think the reaction of the team was very important, to go forward again to try to win.” Dimitar Berbatov suffered a groin problem on Friday, and Fulham boss Rene Meulensteen admitted he chose not to risk the Bulgaria striker with the busy festive schedule in mind. Meulensteen said: “Unfortunately he kicked a ball wrongly in training which aggravated something in his groin as far as I’m aware. “So we had a good look at it, we assessed him, and actually assessed him this morning as well. “And unfortunately he was too big of a risk. With all the games coming up I didn’t want to take the risk of having to start Berbatov in that position and maybe him have to come off and then you lose him for the other games.” Meulensteen said Fulham continued their trend of praiseworthy hard graft without reward. He said: “It’s the same story as the Spurs and Everton games. “The goals that we concede, from set plays, it’s not good enough defending, especially the one just before half time. “I was hoping the experience would kick in a bit from some of these players, to steady the ship.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Update on the latest sports

first_imgVIRUS OUTBREAK-COLLEGE SPORTSAP Source: Pac-12 sets Sept. 26 start for football scheduleUNDATED (AP) — The Pac-12 has set Sept. 26 as the start of its 10-game, conference-only football schedule, joining the Southeastern Conference in pushing back its season by nearly a month because of the coronavirus pandemic.The Pac-12 announced three weeks ago it would eliminate nonconference games to give its 12 member schools a better chance to manage complications and disruptions caused by the health crisis. The plan approved by university presidents adds an additional cross-divisional game to each team’s slate and moves the conference championship game back two weeks from Dec. 4 to Dec. 18 or 19. NFL-NEWS ESPN was first to report the conversation.Concerns have been expressed about lax behavior by players on the field — such as spitting or high-fives — and off. The scrambled schedule has also heightened doubts about whether the owners’ desire to play is realistic.MLB-NEWSChapman rejoins YankeesUNDATED (AP) — All-Star closer Aroldis Chapman has been cleared to return to Yankee Stadium following a bout with the coronavirus. He was expected to play catch before New York hosted the Boston Red Sox. Brown has caught 841 passes for 11,236 yards and 75 touchdowns in parts of 10 NFL seasons.In other NFL news:— Lions safety Jayron Kearse has been suspended by the league for the first three games of the 2020 regular season for violating league policy on substance abuse. Kearse is eligible to participate in all preseason practices and can return to the active roster after the team’s Week 3 game at Arizona. Formerly with division rival Minnesota, Kearse signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Detroit as a free agent. — Bills starting right guard Jon Feliciano is out indefinitely after having surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. The team did not reveal when or how Feliciano was hurt in making the announcement on its website.— Steve Levy, Brian Griese and Louis Riddick will be the new announce team for ESPN’s “Monday Night Football,” according to a person familiar with the decision. The trio has familiarity working together. They called the late game in last season’s Week 1 doubleheader between Denver and Oakland. Antonio Brown suspended 8 games by NFLUNDATED (AP) — The NFL has suspended wide receiver Antonio Brown for the first eight regular-season games of the 2020 season under the league’s personal conduct policy.Brown currently is a free agent. He played one game last season for the Patriots before being released. Brown can be signed by any team and would be eligible to participate in all of his club’s preseason activities. The suspension would take effect when teams make their final cuts on Sept. 5. Brown pleaded no contest on June 12 to charges related to a fight with a moving truck driver outside his South Florida home earlier this year. July 31, 2020 Associated Press Antetokounmpo had 36 points, 15 rebounds and seven assists to help Milwaukee get within one victory of wrapping up the No. 1 seed.In other Day 2 action of the NBA restart:— The Magic picked up their fourth straight win as Evan Fournier scored 24 points and Nikola Vucevic had 22 in a 128-118 dismantling of the Nets. Orlando led by 30 at one point and moved ahead of Brooklyn for seventh in the Eastern Conference. The Nets are missing Spencer Dinwiddie, DeAndre Jordan and Taurean Prince after they tested positive for the coronavirus.— CJ McCollum scored 33 points and teamed with Damian Lillard to provide 11 of Portland’s 16 in overtime, leading the Blazers past the Grizzlies, 140-135. Lillard finished with 29 points and nine assists, while Carmelo Anthony added 21. The Blazers are within 2 1/2 games of Memphis as Portland seeks its seventh consecutive playoff appearance.— The Suns cruised to a 125-112 win over the Wizards as Devin Booker scored 27 points and Deandre Ayton added 24 with 12 rebounds. The Suns hit 30 of 32 from the line, with Booker hitting all nine of his attempts. Phoenix 52% from the field in propping up its playoff hopes. — The White Sox have promoted second baseman Nick Madrigal, adding one of their top prospects to the roster. The 23-year-old had been training at the team’s auxiliary site. Madrigal was selected by Chicago with the fourth overall pick in the 2018 draft after a standout collegiate career at Oregon State. NBA-SCHEDULEBucks outlast CelticsUNDATED (AP) — The Milwaukee Bucks are on the verge of clinching the top seed in the NBA’s Eastern Conference after winning their re-opening game.Giannis Antetokounmpo (YAH’-nihs an-teh-toh-KOON’-poh) converted a tiebreaking three-point play with 1:28 left before the Bucks finished off a 119-112 win over the Celtics. Antetokounmpo was then called for a charging foul, appearing to negate his basket and giving him a sixth foul. The call was changed to a blocking foul on Boston’s Marcus Smart after review. Yankees manager Aaron Boone confirmed Chapman’s return and said he wasn’t sure when the hard-throwing left-hander would be ready for game action. Chapman had been isolating in his Manhattan apartment since registering a positive test July 11. Also, Yanks right-hander Tommy Kahnle was added to the injured list with forearm tightness. He had an MRI taken Friday.In other MLB news:— The Cubs have signed former Indians closer Cody Allen to a minor league deal and sent him to their team’s training site in South Bend, Indiana. The Cubs’ bullpen struggled in the first week of the season. Closer Craig Kimbrel walked four batters and allowed two runs in his season debut Monday night. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditMLB-SCHEDULEYankees top Bosox behind Judge, MontgomeryUNDATED (AP) — The New York Yankees were winners in their first game against the rival Red Sox this season. NEW YORK (AP) — The coronavirus continues to alter the Major League Baseball schedule.Friday’s game between Milwaukee and visiting St. Louis had to be postponed after two Cardinals players tested positive for COVID-19. The teams are now expected to play a doubleheader on Sunday.The Cardinals are quarantined in their Milwaukee hotel. The team says it learned of the positive tests on Thursday night.Eight teams have been affected in the first nine days of the season. The Phillies and Marlins haven’t played since Sunday and are on hiatus until at least Sunday after 17 Marlins tested positive while staying in Philadelphia. Four other teams had their schedules altered due to the virus.Meanwhile, Commissioner Rob Manfred spoke to union leader Tony Clark about the importance of players following the sport’s coronavirus protocols. A person familiar with the conversation told The Associated Press that the two discussed what is needed to be done to complete the season. Update on the latest sports Fowler closed with birdies on his final two holes for a 67.LPGA-DRIVE ON CHAMPIONSHIPKang leads as LPGA returnsTOLEDO, Ohio (AP) — The LPGA has made its return following a hiatus caused by the pandemic. Danielle Kang looked as though she’s been playing every week.Kang was bogey-free at Inverness Club for a 6-under 66 and a one-shot lead in the LPGA Drive On Championship. With no leaderboards or fans at the course, Kang said she had no idea where she stood after closing with a birdie. NHL-HURRICANES-HAMILTONHurricanes’ Dougie Hamilton out for Rangers series openerTORONTO (AP) — All-Star defenseman Dougie Hamilton won’t play for the Carolina Hurricanes in Saturday’s opener against the New York Rangers in the NHL’s Eastern Conference’s expanded playoff qualifying round.Hamilton has missed multiple practices, though the league has prohibited teams from disclosing whether a player is injured or ill amid the coronavirus pandemic. Carolina coach Rod Brind’Amour (BRIHN’-dah-mohr) says Hamilton is “getting better for sure,” and the team hopes he will play in the best-of-5 series. Aaron Judge homered for the third straight night as the Yankees dumped the Red Sox, 5-1. Judge took aim at Yankee Stadium’s short right field porch in the third, a half-inning after starting a double play from right. Gio Urshela (ur-SHEH’-luh) and Brett Gardner hit their first home runs of the season to back Jordan Montgomery, who was reached for just one run and five hits over 5 2/3 innings versus a hot lineup.Boston entered the day leading the majors in with a .276 batting average and the AL with a .783 OPS.Michael Chavis homered for Boston and Phillips Valdez impressed over 2 2/3 scoreless innings, but the club couldn’t overcome another poor start by Ryan Weber.VIRUS OUTBREAK-BASEBALLCards-Brewers postponed after 2 St. Louis positive tests Hamilton broke his left leg in January and was sidelined until the NHL suspended the season because of the pandemic.PGA-FEDEX INVITATIONALBrendon Todd takes 2-stroke lead with 65 at WGC in MemphisMEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Brendon Todd will carry a two-shot advantage into the third round of the PGA’s FedEx St. Jude Invitational.Todd followed Thursday’s 64 with a 5-under 65 that leaves him two ahead of Rickie Fowler. First-round leader Brooks Koepka (KEHP’-kuh) shot a 1-over 71 that drops him into a third-place tie with Chez Reavie and Byeong Hun An at minus-7. Jodi Ewart Shadoff also played bogey-free for a 67. Celine Boutier and Lee-Anne Pace also were at 5 under until both made bogey on the closing hole. TENNIS-US OPENUS Tennis Association says it’s still preparing for US OpenUNDATED (AP) — As coronavirus cases spike in other parts of the country a month before the U.S. Open is supposed to start in New York, the U.S. Tennis Association said Friday it “continues its plans” to hold its marquee event and another tournament beforehand.The U.S. Open usually is the year’s last Grand Slam tournament and its slated to run Aug. 31 to Sept. 13. It’s now the second major championship because of the pandemic.last_img read more

Glazers at Man Utd for the long term – Woodward

first_imgManchester, United Kingdom | AFP |  Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward believes the club’s American owners, the Glazer family, will remain in control of the club for the “long term.”The Glazers completed their controversial takeover at Old Trafford in 2005, with their ownership the subject of intense focus ever since.Fans have planned a protest against the Glazers ahead of Sunday’s Premier League meeting against Liverpool with United languishing down in 12th in the table.Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman has been linked with making a takeover bid for the club. However, Woodward rebuffed talk of a takeover bid.“Based on what I see, they’re in it for the long term,” Woodward told the United We Stand fanzine of the Glazers.“With regards to offers or asking prices, my understanding is that there have been no discussions for a price for the club or anything like that.“Every conversation we have is based on the long-term.”Woodward also defended the Glazers record of leveraging huge debts upon the club. “The debt is a long-term, structured and similar to some other football clubs. It’s a fixed amount for a fixed period of time which results in it being fairly cheap to service,” he added.“It’s just under two per cent our annual revenue each year, so it doesn’t really have any impact on us.”Woodward has also been the subject of fierce criticism for his recruitment of players and managers in the six years since legendary former manager Alex Ferguson retired in 2013.United have not won a league title since Ferguson left and finished outside the top four in four of those six seasons.“I understand the scrutiny; it’s part of the job,” said Woodward.“We have to do everything that we possibly can to get back to winning the Premier League.“We are not successful until we do. Second is not success, we have to win the Premier League.”Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Florida man sentenced to 70 years behind bars for raping 1-year-old

first_imgA 31-year-old Florida man has been sentenced to 70 years behind bars after authorities say he admitted to repeatedly raping a 1-year-old child and posting the video of the incidents to the web.Prosecutors say James Lockhart was sentenced Thursday after he admitted guilt in March.According to the report investigators found that Lockhart recorded “a sexually violent four-video series” of himself raping a 1-year-old between between March 2016 and February 2018 which he then posted to the dark web.  He then reportedly made other sexually explicit videos with the child and that he had bragged about raping another 1-year-old.In addition to that, investigators reported that they found several devices in Lockharts home that contained 43 videos depicting child pornography and at least 4,000 images of child pornography.Lockhart was sentenced to the statutory maximum penalty for producing, distributing, and possessing child pornography.Read the report here.last_img read more

Florida Tax Revenues Drop Nearly $900 Million Due to Pandemic

first_imgThe state of Florida may have lost nearly $900 million in tax revenues in April, with the coronavirus halting tourism and other industries on which our economy depends heavily.Last March, the state Legislature approved a $93.2 billion budget that it was preparing to send to Gov. Ron DeSantis for his signature.However, the session to approve the budget took place as DeSantis was beginning to shut down some businesses while implementing stay-at-home measures.Until that point, Florida officials were expecting to take in about $3 billion in tax revenues last month, but learned this week that they fell short by $878 million.A monthly revenue report from the Legislature’s Office of Economic & Demographic Research reflects the effects of the pandemic and the stay-at-home orders on the state’s tax income.“The presence of coronavirus in Florida presented its most serious threat to the sales tax forecast, especially to those taxes collected from tourists,” explains the report. “In addition, critical supply chains were already interrupted by the impact to other countries and retail sales displaced as a result of social distancing and crowd-avoidance behaviors.”Net revenue for April was projected to be $2.984 billion, but ended up at $2.106 billion.Sales tax revenues from tourism were down 24.1 percent, or $598.2 million.Other revenue sources, including corporate income taxes, highway safety fees and corporate filing fees, collectively earned $323.1 million below previous estimates, due to new state orders allowing delayed payments until June or later.However, revenue from the documentary-stamp, intangibles, beverage, tobacco and severance taxes and earnings on investments exceeded projections.“Together, these sources generated a total gain of $40.9 million for the month; however, some of these sources are expected to experience losses in the coming months as lagged economic effects begin to appear,” the report said.There is no word on when Gov. DeSantis plans to sign the budget, which is scheduled to take effect July 1.State Budget Set, with Money for Teacher Pay and Coronavirus Reserveslast_img read more

Missing SW Florida Boy Found Dead, Mother Uncooperative

first_imgThe search for a missing boy and his mother took a tragic turn late last week, when authorities found the child’s body in a lake in central Florida.However, the story doesn’t end there.Investigators are still trying to determine how the boy ended up in the water in the first place.They say the mother is being uncooperative.The Highlands County Sheriff’s Office says 5-year-old Chance Peterkin and his 29-year-old mother, Philletta Moransit, were reported missing on Thursday night. According to authorities, the two had not been seen since leaving their home on foot that morning.An search with deputies in boats and on ATVs, K9’s, a drone and a helicopter led officials to the discovery of Chance’s body in Lake Lelia just after midnight on Friday.Investigators also found Moransit on the campus of South Florida State College a few hours before they found her son’s body.Additionally, they came across some of her clothing near the lake.Jail records show Moransit is being held on charges of child neglect with great bodily harm and resisting an officer.last_img read more