Hong Kong power company CLP Holdings to stop building coal-fired generation

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:Hong Kong-based power company CLP Holdings said on Tuesday it does not plan to invest in any additional coal-fired generation capacity and will instead aim to progressively phase out remaining coal assets by 2050.The switch will be part of the company’s efforts to ‘decarbonise’ in line with Paris Agreement climate commitments, CLP said in a statement. In a separate report, it said 20% of its revenue currently comes from coal-based power generation.As of December, last year, CLP Group had 11,997 megawatts of coal-fired equity generation capacity, a spokesman from the company told Reuters. CLP Holdings is the holding company for CLP Group.The spokesman added that for CLP, phasing out coal-fired generation capacity will mean retirement and closure of coal-fired power assets, moving away from build-operate-transfer coal-fired projects before the end of the contract term, or divestment from a coal-fired asset.It currently operates in various Asian regions including India, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and China, as well as Australia.CLP is building Hong Kong’s first offshore liquefied natural gas (LNG) receiving terminal as Hong Kong undertakes a massive shift to use more natural gas to fuel its electric power generation rather than coal.[Jessica Jaganathan]More: Hong Kong’s CLP Holdings to end investing in new coal-fired power Hong Kong power company CLP Holdings to stop building coal-fired generationlast_img read more

Great week goes wrong

first_imgWhat a sad, sad week for sports.Oh sure, there was Separation Saturday, one of the most exciting 24-hour periods of the year in college football. The MLB divisional races are heating up, with the Mets celebrating their first division title in years and the Padres-Dodgers clashing in L.A. And then, of course, there was the start of the NFL season (which kind of speaks for itself there).But every once in a while, you hear about those awful stories where people begin to take their sports too seriously. Some moron flies off the handle for one ridiculous reason or another and goes too far, in one respect or another.This week, quite unfortunately, was one of those even rarer weeks … a week that saw three such occurrences.First, there was the highly publicized case out at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, where five Duquesne basketball players — none of whom reportedly were doing anything illegal or out of the ordinary — were shot. Two have been left seriously injured, with one, Sam Ashaolu, fighting for his life in the days after the incident. Thankfully, a report says he is gaining strength at this point, though he remains in critical condition.Apparently, at least two non-students at Duquesne crashed a campus dance party and resorted to putting bullets in half the basketball team after a seemingly harmless altercation. The saddest part is, from what it sounds like, this wasn’t exactly Miami Beach. Students and faculty alike call Duquesne a very safe campus.On the other hand, the great news (besides the improvement of Ashaolu’s condition) is that the perpetrators are being arrested one by one, and justice will be served with Duquesne expecting to have a normal basketball season this winter.However, there’s the lesser-known shooting in Dandridge, Tenn., from Monday evening. While each of the players from the Duquesne travesty is expected to survive, this next story does not have such a satisfying ending.As a youth baseball game ended in Dandridge, a small town 30 miles east of Knoxville, at the baseball diamond locals call the “Field of Dreams,” the scene turned into a field of nightmares as three people were killed with a fourth wounded at the scene.An interesting oddity of the story: the three fatal victims were each over the age of 60. You don’t see that every day, a bunch of old-timers getting violent in a sports situation.But police say the event came simply out of an “ongoing family dispute, and it wasn’t related to anything there at the ballfield.” Well, then what was it related to? My money says that a questionable call happened on the field, the game ended, and competitive spirit got the best of the fans, resulting in three confusing deaths.Folks, this ain’t the Little League World Series. And it ain’t the Pop Warner Super Bowl, either. This isn’t one of the three events I’m referring to, but I’m sure most people have seen or heard of the overzealous parent/coach who left the bench and cold-cocked a 13-year-old kid on the opposing team on Sept. 7.I’m all for protecting your kid and all, but is body slamming another young kid, putting his life in jeopardy, really the solution? Seriously, dude, use your head.So then the third of these incidents … well, it wasn’t really an incident, but the fact that one of the officials of the Oregon-Oklahoma catastrophe has received death threats is an embarrassing example of how we let our sports get the best of us all too often.Here’s my disclaimer, before you shoot off those angry e-mails: Those miscalls were up there with the worst of all time. I’m not going to advocate any conspiracy theories that the Pac-10 refs were favoring their team, but I’m not exactly going to shoot them down, either. It’s a real possibility (and if it’s true, well, that’s a whole other issue).That said, I think the president of the University of Oklahoma, David Boren, may be exaggerating a tad when he proclaims the refs’ mistakes an “outrageous injustice” and calls for the result of the game to be voided, aiding the Sooners in the BCS race.I’ll give you an outrageous injustice: Even though Gordon Reise made a mistake — OK, a really big mistake that never should have happened — the instant replay official of the game should not be receiving death threats over the phone. College football’s a big game, sure, but it’s just a game.There aren’t many times that I feel saddened when it comes to sports (well, the Yankees officially clinched the division yesterday; that brought me down a bit … but I digress), and I hate seeing sports fans unable to handle their competitive sides.It’s gotten to the point where even Sooners head coach Bob Stoops — after consistently beating on the Pac-10 repeatedly since Saturday — has asked the fans to let it go. Reise says that one call was directed at his wife and kids.The fact that these callers are also threatening Reise’s family for a mistake he made? That’s an outrageous injustice, President Boren …One outrageous injustice, among many, many more. For this week, too many.Share your thoughts on Duquesne, OU-Oklahoma or anything else on your mind at [email protected]last_img read more

Mallard’s Team of the Week — Dirty Dozen Ladies Rec Champs

first_imgMallard’s Source for Sports is eager to add to the celebration with Team of the Week honours.The team includes, back row, L-R, Ruth Sutherland, Karen Duffy, Kelly Peloso, Lisa Ranta, Wendy Horan, Tracey Kooznetsoff, Melissa Keyserlingk and Heather Dyck. Front, Kelly Newhouse, Jennifer Dunn Moynes The Dirty Dozen and the Lily Whites battled through the duration of the Bridge Ladies Rec Indoor Soccer Season.The Lily Whites managed to win the regular season title, but it was Dirty Dozen having the last laugh in the playoff final, knocking off the champs 5-2 in the final to capture the championship.last_img read more

Round-up: QPR want duo out, Fulham to sign ex-Spurs youngster, Moses set for West Ham

first_imgIt will be a typically manic final 48 hours of the transfer window at QPR. The club are looking to make further additions to their squad and are desperate to offload some players – they have made Junior Hoilett and Armand Traore available on free transfers ahead of Tuesday’s deadline.There continues to be speculation over the future of R’s striker Charlie Austin. Manchester United have now joined the list of clubs this summer to have been touted as favourites to sign him.One of Rangers’ summer signings, Tjaronn Chery, scored his third goal of the season in Saturday’s win at Huddersfield. But head coach Chris Ramsey believes left-back Paul Konchesky deserves some credit for the Dutchman’s impact.Fulham are busy in the transfer market as well. They have agreed a deal to sign former Tottenham youngster Ryan Fredericks from Bristol City and expect to complete the signing of defender Richard Stearman from Wolves.Fredericks wants to return to London for personal reasonsFulham have also rejected an approach from Sheffield Wednesday for striker Ross McCormack. There has been speculation that Chelsea could react to their disappointing start to the season by making more signings, but boss Jose Mourinho has insisted he does not expect that to happen.Meanwhile, Victor Moses is expected to join West Ham on loan from Chelsea before the window closes.Brentford are also adding to their squad – head coach Marinus Dijkhuizen is hopeful Austrian striker Marco Djuricin, who is set to sign from Red Bull Salzburg on a season-long loan, will give the Bees more of a cutting edge up front.Chelsea Ladies have had no problems scoring goals. Fresh from a 6-0 hammering of Millwall Lionesses in midweek, they demolished London Bees 8-0 to reach the quarter-finals of the Continental Cup. Rosella Ayane scored four times and Marija Banusic netted a hat-trick.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

R220m investment in Durban beachfront

first_img9 April 2013 South African hotel and casino operator Tsogo Sun is to invest R220-million in Durban’s famed “Golden Mile” through refurbishing and combining its Southern Sun Elangeni and Southern Sun North Beach hotels into one complex, the Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani. Tsogo Sun’s investment was “a direct response to the substantial investment into the revival of the Durban beachfront promenade by the eThekwini Municipality,” Tsogo Sun CEO Marcel von Aulock said in a statement last week. eThekwini Mayor James Nxumalo welcomed Tsogo Sun’s announcement, saying “there is so much good news to be told about the renewal of the city – with corporates coming back to the city centre, the International Convention Centre’s status as a leading convention centre in the country, the rescue of the iconic Durban Country Club, and the location of the Moses Mabhida stadium all contributing to the revitalisation of the city”. According to Tsogo Sun, the first phase of the project, which will be completed in May, will include the total refurbishment of the Maharani Tower, substantial new food and beverage offerings within the Elangeni Tower, and the renovation of the external building facades. The second phase will see the opening in the third quarter of 2013 of The Camelot Spa, featuring five treatment rooms, a double treatment room with a hydro therapy bath and a Himalayan salt room in the Elangeni Tower. The historic Raffles area is being transformed into a multi-purpose venue on top of the Maharani Tower available for conferences, launches and themed evenings with breathtaking views. The final phase will include a refurbishment of the Elangeni rooms and additional public areas. The Southern Sun Elangeni & Maharani complex will boast 734 bedrooms, two gyms, three swimming pools, 17 meeting and conference rooms, two business centres, and 11 restaurants and bars offering a variety of a la carte and buffet meal options. The restaurants will include new offerings ranging from The Grill Jichana, “a modern and stylish grillhHouse with great food in a convivial ambience”, the Panorama Bar & Pool Deck, “a bar and light food zone with views of the coastline, serving cocktails, mezes, ice creams, granitas and light meals throughout the day”, and the Ocean Breeze Restaurant, “a laid-back Indian Ocean Island styled restaurant with a view second to none”. Visitors will still be able to enjoy old favourites such as Japanese restaurant Daruma, Piatto Mediterranean Kitchen, and the Lingela Restaurant, “one of the top traditional buffet restaurants in the country”. “We have great confidence in Durban, and it is our sincere belief that we have a responsibility to support the City to ensure that it achieves its full potential as the premier leisure and event city in South Africa,” said Von Aulock. “We believe that the positioning of the Southern Sun Elangeni and Maharani hotel complex combined with quality offerings and service will breathe new energy, life and soul into the Durban beachfront.” SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

5 Enterprise Startups to Watch in 2011 # 5: Podio

first_img3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Tags:#enterprise#Products While Jive offers extensive customization through its professional services and Moxie has done extensive research to try to create an ideal product right out of the box, Podio is encouraging users to adjust the product their own needs.Podio is perhaps most comparable to Microsoft SharePoint, but it’s much simpler to use. The form-driven app builder is similar to services such as Caspio, but of course all the apps built on the Podio platform have the advantage of being integrated with Podio’s existing features.And those existing features are themselves quite integrated. Podio has a strong project management focus and emphasizes turning all types of content into projects or tasks. Podio also offers an API so that experienced developers can add additional functionality or integrations. Developers can also add additional building blocks to the app builder through the API.An iPhone app is already available, and the company plans to release an Android app next.Podio has been integrated with Github, Twitter and Zendesk but so far none of these integrations are available in the app store. Co-founder Kasper Hulthin hopes this will change in the near future. Hulthin also says the company wants to enable third-party developers to sell apps and integrations through the app store.In 2011, we expect to see platforms and app stores become a major paradigm for enterprise computing. Podio is a small company that’s just getting started, but it’s building from the ground-up with this paradigm in mind. The product is currently in beta, but the company already has over 100 paying customers. It will open to the public in early 2011.Podio is based in Copenhagen. Danish entrepreneur Tommy Ahlers, who sold his startup ZYB to Vodafone in 2008, invested in Podio this year and joined the company as CEO. Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of… Related Posts Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… As 2010 draws to a close we’re taking a look at a few enterprise startups that show promise and that we haven’t covered on ReadWriteEnterprise.Podio is a highly customizable Web-based enterprise collaboration application. Like Huddle it emphasizes external collaboration as well as internal collaboration. Podio’s distinguishing features are its large internal app store and its app builder. End-users can easily add or modify existing apps from the more than 2,000 apps available in the app store, or build new ones using a point and click interface. IT + Project Management: A Love Affair klint finleylast_img read more

Student killed near encounter site in Kashmir

A Class XI student was killed on Thursday near the site of an encounter between security forces and militants in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district. Unconfirmed reports suggest that two militants were killed in the encounter.A police official said Amir Wani, a resident of Pulwama’s Beegumbagh-Kakapora, was “hit by a stray bullet” as civilians clashed with the security forces to help the militants escape.Chief Medical Officer of Pulwama, Talat Jabeen, confirmed the death of Wani.The encounter broke out at 5 a.m. at Padgampora area in Awantipora.Police sources said the militants — Jehangeer Ahmad Ganai and Shafat Ahmad Sherguri, finding themselves trapped inside the house, opened fire at the security forces.Locals told The Hindu that relatives of Ganai were called in to persuade him to surrender. The local public address system was also used asking the militants to surrender.They said there were blasts near the house.Army spokesman Colonal Rajesh Kalia said, “The details of the operation are being ascertained.” read more

Derecognition leaves paralympian Farman Basha in lurch

first_imgFarman Basha is the country’s top para-lifter for years now but the de-recognition of the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) has smashed his medal hopes at the London Games.Basha has three paralympic qualifiers lined up in the next few months but with the world body refusing to let Indian para-athletes participate in international events, it is unlikely that he will get an opportunity to compete in London.The 37-year-old Basha narrowly missed a bronze medal at the Beijing Games in 2008 and said he always harboured hopes of returning with a medal from London next year.The sports ministry suspended the PCI earlier this year and the world federation did not allow the Indian body to field players in international competitions.”I was ranked in the top six para-lifters in the world but I haven’t competed in any international event this year, which meant that my ranking has dropped,” Basha told Mail Today from Bangalore.Three paralympic qualifying tournaments are scheduled in the next four months but the two- time Olympian is not sure whether he’ll get an opportunity in any of those competitions.”There are two para events in Sharjah in October and December but I don’t think I’ll be able to compete in any of those. Besides, there’s the powerlifting Asia Cup in Malaysia in February and the chances of any resolution by then also looks bleak,” Basha, the 2007 Arjuna awardee said.”While the international athletes get good facilities and always have more than one coach accompanying them, we don’t get even the basic amenities.” PCI secretary general Ratan Singh said they have approached the sports ministry and even conducted elections as per government guidelines but things haven’t moved much.advertisement”We have very less time with the London Paralympics a few months later and we did approach the sports ministry. The International Paralympic Committee has refused to accept the entries of our athletes and they can’t even get good training abroad,” Ratan told M AIL T ODAY . Another problem the powerlifters are facing is that they have just one coach who, sources say, is not willing to move out of Nagpur where he lives. Despite several requests to appoint an able- bodied coach, Vijay Munishwar continues to be the lone coach.”He is reluctant to move out of Nagpur for training and the Sports Authority of India (SAI) at best has offered to conduct training in Gandhinagar but he doesn’t even want to travel there,” said a source.last_img read more