Football saved me after horrors of war, says Grobbelaar

first_img“They killed themselves simultaneously in adjoining toilets in the barracks. They couldn’t face it,” said Grobbelaar.The goalkeeper, renowned for his eccentricities at Anfield, said football had “saved” him, adding: “It kept me away from the dark thoughts of war.”Grobbelaar told how one of his fellow white soldiers mutilated the bodies of black fighters.“This guy would cut an ear off every man he killed,” Grobbelaar said. “He kept the ears in a jar. And he had quite a few jars. His family had been brutalised so he wanted revenge.”The Hillsborough disaster in 1989 resulted in the deaths of 96 Liverpool supporters © AFP/File / PAUL ELLISThe Zimbabwean was at Liverpool during the most successful spell in the club’s history but the 1980s were also marked by two tragedies — the 1985 Heysel disaster, when 39 Juventus fans died before the European Cup final and the Hillsborough disaster in 1989, which resulted in the deaths of 96 Liverpool supporters.“It (Heysel) was worse (than war),” said Grobbelaar, who won six league titles and a European Cup while at Liverpool from 1981 to 1994.“In the bush you knew what could happen. At Heysel it was innocent people. To hear the crumbling wall and the falling bodies was terrible.”Grobbelaar was also hit hard by the tragedy at Hillsborough, where he was close to the Liverpool fans’ end.“I was near gate number 13 and there was this soft sound — like air coming out,” he said.“I saw the faces squashed against the fence. I went to get the ball and shouted to the policewoman: ‘Open the effing gate.’ She said: ‘I haven’t got the key’. When the ball came back a second time, I shouted again.“I saw they had a key and people spilled onto the ground.“I kicked the ball out and ran to the referee. That’s when the barrier went over and the bodies came down. I could hear the air coming out of them.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar says football saved him after the trauma of war in Africa © AFP/File / JOHNNY EGGITTLONDON, United Kingdom, Oct 2 – Former Liverpool goalkeeper Bruce Grobbelaar has spoken about how football “saved” him after his horrific experiences as a soldier in the Rhodesian army, also recounting the trauma of the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters during his playing days.The 60-year-old told Britain’s Guardian newspaper in a frank interview that the impact of the fighting in Zimbabwe’s war of independence in the 1970s was such that two soldiers took their own lives when they were told to do another tour of duty.last_img read more

‘Four’tune smiles on QSST girls

first_imgQSST went into the final as favourite after taking out the previous three NYC titles, while NSWCCC went into the final after causing an upset over New South Wales Combined High Schools in the semi final. The opening five minutes was tight, with both teams showing great talent and intensity. But it was the Queensland girls that impressed early and it didn’t take long for that to show on the scoreboard. Captain Emily Reed led by example in the 8th minute, when she crossed for her team after a CCC error, to score the first touchdown of the match. CCC was quick to hit back however, with Sinead Bailey scoring in the next set of six to level the game at one touchdown a piece. Emilee Cherry scored over in the far corner after she was set up by Kate McCarthy following a penalty to take the lead for QSST again. NSW captain Alicia Quirk was dangerous in attack throughout the first half but the team was unable to capitalize on their opportunities, to trail at the half-time break, 2-1.Strong defence by CCC kept them in the game early in the second half, but it was QSST that made their mark on the scoreboard, when Kate McCarthy crossed to give her side some breathing space.Anna Hicks was over for QSST not long after off the back of some great attacking play by QSST, to take their lead out to three touchdowns. Lauren Rynehart hit back for CCC two minutes later, after a great run by Quirk, to bring the NSW side back within two. It was short lived however, with Alysha Tupua scoring in the next set of six to take QSST’s lead out to 5-2. The NSW girls didn’t give up, scoring with just under two minutes remaining to bring the deficit back to two touchdowns. It was too little too late, however, with QSST taking back to back titles and going through the championships undefeated. McCarthy was rewarded for her strong game, being named Player of the Match, while Quirk was named Player of the Series. The two captains were full of praise for their respective team’s performances over the past week.“I couldn’t be more proud you, you are a good bunch and you did amazing all carnival, to Peta (Rogerson – QSST coach) you’re a deadest inspiration to all of us, I couldn’t ask for a better coach,” Reed said. “To my girls, I couldn’t be more proud of you, to make the grand final was such an awesome effort and you did yourselves so proud all week,” Quirk said.last_img read more