Special ed grads get their own prom

first_img“She’s been going up to the dress every day and just touching it,” Castrellon said. “She couldn’t wait to wear it.” As the party got started, students, teachers and aides happily socialized, danced and joked with each other. When one of their teachers, Fred Arroyo, walked into the room, the students let out a big cheer. Arroyo was impressed by the scope of the event. “We usually have an end-of-school picnic, but nothing ever approached this,” he said. “Nothing has been quite so elaborate.” Arroyo said this was the first time anything like this had been planned for the special education students in his nine years at the high school. “I think it’s absolutely fabulous,” he said. “The students have been very excited and looking forward to this.” He cheered and complimented his students throughout the event. “They’re going away, but at least they’re going away with something they can enjoy,” Guzman said. Many of the graduating seniors expressed their excitement about moving on from high school and eventually living independently. Senior Alex Robles spoke optimistically about the possibility of getting a job. Arroyo explained that after completing high school, most of the teens will move on to a transitional living program, which will help them acquire skills for more independent living and perhaps find employment. Castrellon said that the students are regularly taken on trips off campus during the school year to familiarize them with community resources, including the bus system. Many also gain skills in the community. “Some participate in volunteer work programs,” she said. “Every Wednesday we go out into the community during school hours.” She said that many volunteer at places like the Boys and Girls Club, Old Navy and the Whittier Library. The El Rancho students are in the right place, according to Arroyo. “The entire Whittier and Pico Rivera community are very supportive of all our students,” he said. “Whittier as a community is at the forefront of assistance, acceptance and support of disabled adults.” Arroyo added that there are group homes throughout the community that provide them with appropriate living arrangements. Castrellon said that the students also have each other’s friendship for support. “These are their life-long friends,” she said. “They’ve been together since elementary school.” Teacher Carrie Pavalella was moved to tears by the event. “I’m excited,” she said. “I’m very happy for them.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2“This has been in the works since last year,” said instructional aide Michele Castrellon. “All the teachers in the special education department pitched in time, money and effort. It’s a really big event.” The party was the brainchild of Sylvia Hernandez, an instructional aide, who had been planning the party since last September, when she came up with the idea. Many of her colleagues then jumped on board enthusiastically to help her organize the event. “Most of these guys don’t get to go to their prom for whatever reason, so this is something special just for them,” Hernandez said, adding that of the nine seniors in the special education class, only three attended prom this year. But nearly every one of El Rancho’s 32 special education students attended Friday’s party. Their excitement was palpable as aides Lourdes Serrano and Tina Espinosa helped them get dressed, styled their hair and did their makeup. Some of the female teachers and aides donated gowns for the students to wear. Liza Cano, a senior, wore a floral, floor-length gown given to her by aide Lydia Guzman. • Graduation Galleries: 1 | 2 Room R4 was decorated with balloons, candles, glitter and a banner that read, “Puttin’ on the Ritz.” Dance music played on a stereo as adults and teenagers hurried about, putting the final touches on ensembles and decorations. On Friday, the instructional aides and teachers of El Rancho High School’s special education department pulled out all the stops to put on a formal-dress party – a mini-prom of sorts – for the department’s graduating seniors. last_img read more

BCCI vs Lodha Committee: SC adjourns hearing till December 9

first_imgThe Supreme Court on Monday adjourned the hearing regarding the Justice RM Lodha committee recommendations and the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s(BCCI) reluctance to accept all recommendations till December 9 as Justice TS Thakur was unwell today and could not take up any case. (BCCI to wait till December 5 for SC verdict on Lodha Committee report)The Lodha Committee was appointed after the ‘conflict of interest’ issue sparked a controversy in Indian cricket.The Lodha Committee, in its  first status report submitted to the apex court on September 28, had asked for the removal of the present set of BCCI of office-bearers, to be replaced by a group of independent administrators. (10 times Supreme Court showed BCCI who is boss)In its third status report submitted on November 14, the committee altered the demand a bit, asking for the disqualification of office-bearers of the BCCI and all state associations, who become ineligible as per the apex court’s July 18 order, and the appointment of former Union home secretary GK Pillai as “observer”. (Disqualify BCCI office-bearers, Lodha panel tells Supreme Court)On October 21, the top court passed an interim order asking the BCCI to “cease and desist” from disbursing funds to state associations until the association gave a written resolution that it would adopt all the recommendations approved by the court. The court also asked BCCI president Anurag Thakur and secretary Ajay Shirke to meet the Lodha committee within two weeks from the date of that order and submit an”affidavit of compliance”, elaborating on the recommendations already implemented by the BCCI and what it had done to persuade the state associations to adopt the remaining recommendations.advertisementOn October 1, the board had accepted many of the “significant recommendations” of the Lodha Committee. However, it excluded the important ones which have been bone of contention between the cricket body and the Lodha Panel.The recommendations, which have still not been accepted by the 30-member committee, include one-state one-vote, age limit of 70 years, cooling-off period of three years which included the tenure of the administrators, continue with the  five-selectors and keeping to retaining the powers of the president and secretary as per the earlier constitution of the board.The cricket board has consistently argued that they have implemented many of the Lodha panel’s recommendations but their members have problems in implementing only some of them.last_img read more

Numbers Out – 615 cases of mosquito borne illnesses in The Turks

first_img HOA Opens, slew of Health Bills on Agenda; Key questions to Border Control Minister Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 13 Oct 2014 – The Health Department has and is coping with as many as 615 cases of mosquito borne illnesses in The Turks and Caicos Islands. Premier Dr. Rufus Ewing took the lead in giving the numbers to media at a Friday Press conference… confirming 154 cases of Dengue, 335 suspected cases of Dengue; 17 confirmed cases of ChikV and 109 suspected cases of Chikungunya Virus. It is the first time the government has been forthcoming with this information… no update had been given in three months. Media tried last week, but could not pry these critical statistics from Director of Epidemiology, Dr. Terese Maitland. Now, the country’s leader, who had been contacted by MM as well, several times, on this very information delivers the update. Flood waters from TS Cristobal, which still linger in some parts did worsen the spread according to Maitland… who also admitted that the country had not reported to CARPHA for over 12 weeks. The Premier in that press conference said, weekly reporting to CARPHA is back on schedule and confirmed that Cabinet has approved a contingency fund: “…so that the various health departments can significantly step up their activities in the areas of public health education, eradication and treatment of mosquito breeding sites, fogging, supply of mosquito repellents and barrier netting and surveillance and diagnosis of these vector borne diseases.” Recommended for you Exercise Design Training Workshop 22nd – 26th February 2016 Related Items:Chikungunya, Dengue, ministry of health, premier rufis ewing Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Consultations on Health & Agriculture launchedlast_img read more

Major Gullies And Drains To Be Cleaned

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppKINGSTON, Feb. 4 (JIS): Beginning this week, several of the nation’s major gullies and drains will be cleaned, as the Government heightens activities to eradicate possible mosquito breeding sites.The clean-up activities, which will cost $200 million, are being carried out by the Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing, through the Jamaica Emergency Employment Programme (JEEP) Secretariat.This was disclosed by Minister of Health, Hon. Horace Dalley, during a press conference at the Office of the Prime Minister, in Kingston, on February 2. The press conference sought to update the nation on the Zika virus (ZikV) preparedness and response.Mr. Dalley noted that while the Ministry of Health has allocated $200 million to carry out ZikV preparedness and response activities, other Ministries have also allocated other funds to assist in the fight.For his part, Minister of Local Government and Community Development,Hon. Noel Arscott, said the Ministry and all the local authorities, along with the Social Development Commission (SDC), National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA), are fully on board to assist with the fight against the Zika virus.He pointed out that gullies and drains have been identified and will be cleaned. “Funds will be made available to do so,” the Minister said.Regarding the proper disposal of tyres, Mr. Arscott reminded persons to put holes in them. “Those who are unable to do so, we are asking them to fill it with sand or earth, so that you will not have any place for the breeding of the mosquitoes,” he said.In the meantime, he is urging Jamaicans to dispose of their garbage properly. “We want to get this programme of cleaning up to be year round, because what is happening is when you do an initiative like this one, people go back to their ways of carelessly discarding garbage,” the Minister said.Minister of Information, Senator the Hon. Sandrea Falconer, reminded Jamaicans that they have a personal responsibility to keep their spaces clean. “We have to change the culture in our country and people have to know that it is their responsibility,” she said. ZikV is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, which is found in and around areas where people live, work and play.ZikV is from the same family of viruses as dengue and Chikungunya, and share similar symptoms, which include fever, joint and muscle pain, conjunctivitis, headache, weakness, rash and swelling of the lower limbs.The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting from several days to a week. Severe illness requiring hospitalisation is uncommon.Jamaica is among 25 countries in the Latin American and Caribbean region that have confirmed Zika cases. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:Gullies And Drains, Hon. Horace Dalley, Jamaica Emergency Employment Programme, Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing, ZikV 50,000 Jamaicans Employed Under Jeep Recommended for youlast_img read more

Police Investigates Burglary

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, April 7, 2017 – Providenciales – Detectives of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force are investigating a Burglary and the Taking of Motor Vehicle with Out Authority report that was made earlier today (Friday 7th April 2017) in the Grace Bay area of Providenciales.Around 7:59 AM, Officers responded to the Sunshine Crescent area where the victim was met and told officers that while himself and family was asleep someone or persons entered his home and stole a number of property belonging to them. He further stated that they went to bed around 12:10am and upon waking at 7:37 Am he noticed and observed the window located on the western side of the home opened, and upon making checks he realized two purses missing, a Nike Shoe, one white Apple phone, Ray Ban glasses along with his vehicle.  Investigations are ongoing.Anyone who may have witnessed this incident or have information that can assist with investigation, Contact the Chalk Sound Police Station at 338-5901. To remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1- 800 8477 or use the Crime Stoppers.Press Release: RTCIPF#BurglaryinGraceBay Related Items:#BurglaryinGraceBaylast_img read more