TD says Justice Minister is making excuses rather than consulting on station closures

first_img NPHET ‘positive’ on easing restrictions – Donnelly Help sought in search for missing 27 year old in Letterkenny Google+ Google+ RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp A Donegal North-East Deputy is claiming that rather than consulting with local politicians and communities about Garda Station closures, the Justice Minister is preparing his excuses for going ahead.Deputy Padraig Mac Lochlainn is dismissing Alan Shatter’s claim that it may well be the case that best policing can be provided by closing some Garda stations.In the Dail last evening,  Minister Shatter said  the Government may have no choice but to close some Garda stations as savings have to be made. Dozens of rural stations are expected to close as a result, with fears that over 20 could close in Donegal.Deputy Padraig MacLochlain says the way Minister Shatter is acting suggests decisions are already made……..[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/6pad1pm.mp3[/podcast] Pinterest Twitter Facebook 448 new cases of Covid 19 reported today Pinterestcenter_img By News Highland – October 26, 2011 Three factors driving Donegal housing market – Robinson Previous articleMc Gowan calls for campaign to stop further disability service cutsNext articleSoccer – European Football For Derry City In 2012 News Highland Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Twitter Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Newsx Adverts Facebook WhatsApp TD says Justice Minister is making excuses rather than consulting on station closureslast_img read more

Suffolk Cops Release New Pics of Belt in Giglo Beach Probe

first_imgSign up for Long Island Press’ email newsletters here. Sign up for home delivery of Long Island Press here. Sign up for discounts by becoming a Long Island Press community partner here.,Sign up for Long Island Press’ email newsletters here. Sign up for home delivery of Long Island Press here. Sign up for discounts by becoming a Long Island Press community partner here.,Sign up for Long Island Press’ email newsletters here. Sign up for home delivery of Long Island Press here. Sign up for discounts by becoming a Long Island Press community partner here. Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Suffolk County police released Monday two new images of a belt recovered 10 years ago this month in the Gilgo Beach serial murder investigation.The photos were posted on gilgonews.com, the website the department launched in January as a platform for background information and updates on the case, show both sides of the tip of the belt.“We are hopeful this photo will bring someone forward with information about its origin,” Suffolk County Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart has said of the first photo of the belt released earlier this year.Police previously disclosed the evidence — the first new investigatory detail the department shared since the remains were found along Ocean Parkway in 2010 an ’11 — in January on the same day that Netflix released a trailer for Lost Girls, a movie about the case.The black leather belt embossed with the half-inch initials “HM” or “WH” was found at an unspecified victim’s dump site, police said. Investigators believe the belt was handled by the killer and didn’t belong to any of the victims, but they declined to release the belt size.Police were searching for Shannan Gilbert, a New Jersey woman reported missing in May 2010 from Oak Beach, when they discovered 10 sets of human remains—half of whom were also identified as escorts — along Ocean Parkway between December 2010 and April 2011. Gilbert was later found dead, but police and medical examiners have suggested she may have drowned in a marsh — although her family insists she was murdered.Dec. 11 is the 10th anniversary of police finding victim Melissa Barthelemy, one of four young women found nearby one another in Gilgo Beach — a discovery that marked the first time Suffolk police confirmed they are looking for a serial killer since dubbed the Long Island Serial Killer.Suffolk County Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart holds up a photo of initials on a belt found at a Gilgo Beach crime scene. (Long Island Press photo)Related Story: Did Police Name A Suspect in The Long Island Serial Killer Case?Related Story: Who is The Girl With The Peach Tattoo?Related Story: Questions Remain in Long Island Serial Killer CaseRelated Story: Red Herrings Among Tips in Long Island Serial Killer CaseFor more Long Island Serial Killer coverage visit longislandpress.com/tag/long-island-serial-killerlast_img read more

Crusaders through to section championship

first_imgJasa Sisemore had 15 points and for the second time this season the No. 1 St. Bernard’s girls basketball team beat No. 4 University, this time doing so by a 38-35 margin in the semifinal round of the North Coast Section Division-V playoffs, Wednesday night at St. Bernard’s High.“This is a group that has just worked so hard all year,” St. Bernard’s head coach Mark Gardner said. “They played excellent tonight.”Things started off slow as neither St. Bernard’s nor University scored a point until …last_img read more

South African Otello wows Met

first_imgJohan Botha performing as OtelloImage copyright the Metropolitan OperaJanine ErasmusMany great singers have taken on particular roles and made them their own – for Luciano Pavarotti it was Rodolfo in Puccini’s La Bohème. For Enrico Caruso it was the clown Canio in Leoncavallo’s I Pagliacci. For Plácido Domingo it was Otello in Verdi’s opera of the same name – the great tenor first essayed the role in 1975 and has performed it more than 200 times since then.That role has now been emphatically claimed by South African tenor Johan Botha, who made his debut as Otello at the New York Metropolitan Opera on 11 February. Botha sings opposite leading US soprano Renée Fleming, who plays Desdemona, with Italian baritone Carlo Guelfi as the villainous Iago, the architect of the tragedy.Although Canadian tenor Ben Heppner laid claim to the role of the jealous Moor four years ago, today Botha is considered the leading interpreter of Verdi’s tragic character. The singer’s voice is as vast and powerful as one would expect from his massive physical build, but it is also capable of great sweetness and tenderness.Reviews of the performance have been mixed, with some critics charging that Botha’s acting skills fall short. But they have universally hailed the singer’s powerful yet elegant vocal ability and his interaction with the luminous Fleming, saying that the chemistry between the two was apparent right from the start.The audience gave Botha a standing ovation at the end of his first performance.Homegrown talentBotha was born in 1965 in Rustenburg, a town some 100km northwest of Johannesburg. He attributes his love for opera to his father, who often played his many recordings by great opera singers such as Caruso.Botha is dyslexic, and although he struggled with words as a child, he could easily read music. He took his first lessons at the age of 10 with Czech teacher Jarmilla Tellenger and later enrolled in the opera school at Pretoria’s Technical High School, where he studied with Eric Muller. By then he was already performing, singing in productions such as the première of South African composer Hendrik Hofmeyr’s The Fall of the House of Usher.Botha made his professional operatic debut in 1989, singing the role of Max the marksman in Carl Maria von Weber’s Der Freischütz (The Freeshooter). A year later he was asked by renowned baritone Norbert Balatsch, at the time the conductor of the Bayreuth Festival Chorus, to audition for a place in the chorus. Botha passed the audition and although he says it was hard to move to another country, learn German and seek out people who would support him in his burgeoning career, he did not look back.It was a time when the future of opera in South Africa seemed bleak. The government was withdrawing support and funding from the four provincial performing arts councils – until 1994, the country had only four provinces instead of the current nine. Those South African singers who were determined to make their career in opera often found that pursuing opportunities abroad was the only way.Mimi Coertse was perhaps the best-known South African opera performer of that period – for many years she was the darling of Vienna. More recently, South African singers such as Michelle Breedt, Bronwyn Forbay, Jacques Imbrailo, and the late Deon van der Walt have also made their mark overseas – but these singers returned as often as they could to their home country to perform in front of appreciative audiences. As has Botha – in spite of a diary that is booked up far in advance, he returned to South Africa in mid-2007 to perform in Johannesburg and Cape Town for the first time in 17 years.Forging an international careerCurrently based in Vienna, Botha’s international breakthrough was in 1993 at the Opera de la Bastille in Paris, where he played Pinkerton in Puccini’s Madame Butterfly. Since then he has performed at leading venues around the world and is one of only a few South African opera singers to have appeared at all of the world’s foremost opera houses – the Royal Opera House in London, the Metropolitan Opera in New York, the Vienna State Opera and La Scala in Milan.Botha debuted at the Met in 1997 as Canio in I Pagliacci, and over the past decade has sung 49 performances in seven roles there.He is also known for singing Wagner and has released a recording featuring well-known extracts from Wagner’s works. In June 2003 he was named Österreichischer Kammersänger (Austrian Chamber Singer), a title bestowed on distinguished singers.Seven years in the makingComposer Giuseppe Verdi took seven years to complete Otello. Initially Verdi’s librettist, Arrigo Boito, suggested the title of Iago (to distinguish it from the opera of the same name by Gioacchino Rossini) but the composer insisted on calling it Otello. Verdi uses the orchestra to great effect in this opera, helping to dramatically illustrate the events – for example, the orchestral writing plays a part in revealing the depth of evil in Iago.In writing the libretto, Boito was scrupulously faithful to Shakespeare’s original words, which is why the role calls for as much acting skill as vocal ability.By 1885 the score was essentially completed but the orchestration took a year longer, and rehearsals began in 1886. The première of the work took place in 1887.It remains to be seen whether audiences will hail Johan Botha as Otello to the same extent that they hailed Plácido Domingo. After a performance of Otello in Vienna on 30 June 1991, the audience gave Domingo 101 curtain calls and an 80-minute ovation – the longest standing ovation ever.Useful linksJohan BothaThe Metropolitan Opera HouseAll About OperaCLASSICFEEL magazineOtello on Classical NetSouth African classical singersCape Town Operalast_img read more

Ronda Rousey signs with WWE

first_imgRead Next NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers WHAT?!ROWDY @RondaRousey is HERE in Philadelphia at @WWE #RoyalRumble!!! pic.twitter.com/Aue3HOrJIT Gin Kings shocker John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding — WWE (@WWE) January 29, 2018In a report by ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne, the 30-year-old has signed a full-time contract with the WWE, which very well ensures his spot in the promotion’s biggest event at WrestleMania 34 in April.Rousey last fought Amanda Nunes at UFC 2017 back in December 2016 before leaving the mixed martial arts company.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Photo from WWE.comShe has arrived.Ronda Rousey stole the show in the Royal Rumble on Monday (Manila time) in Philadephia as she came out and sent an ominous message to the top female wrestlers in the company.ADVERTISEMENT The former UFC women’s bantamweight champion showed up after the historic first ever women’s Royal Rumble match just when eventual winner Asuka was going to pick her opponent at WrestleMania 34.Rousey had a staredown with Asuka, SmackDown Women’s Champion Charlotte, and Raw Women’s Champion Alexa Bliss before shaking the hand of Raw commissioner Stephanie McMahon.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles05:25What we ought to know about Filipino Sign Language01:15Learn basic phrases in Filipino Sign Language01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City LATEST STORIES Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH View commentslast_img read more

JAMAICA Parents to learn effective disciplinary strategies

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Jamaica, November 11, 2017 – Kingston – Parents and guardians are to benefit from two Parent Villages being staged by the National Parenting Support Commission (NPSC) this month, during which they will learn effective strategies to discipline their children.   The villages, which are part of Parent Month activities, will be held in Kingston and Montego Bay on November 11 and 25, respectively.Chief Executive Officer of the NPSC, Kaysia Kerr, said frustration is cited as one of the major factors that lead to excessive disciplinary measures being meted out to children.    She noted that parents are often not sufficiently equipped to assess and correct certain behavior patterns in their children, which leads them to react from a position of anger.“When the children step out of line, the first response should not be one of aggression, but it should, instead, be one that causes the child to reflect on his/her actions.   We also cannot emphasize enough the need for parents to influence behavior through their own conduct,” Ms. Kerr said.   She was speaking at a Think Tank held recently at the JIS headquarters in Kingston.Deputy Executive Director of National Integrity Action, partners of the NPSC, Dr. Patrece Charles, said that the desired result of any form of punishment should be that of remorse for the action, on the part of the child.   She noted that where children are disciplined out of anger and/or frustration, the child develops feelings of resentment towards the parent or guardian.“If a child is able to feel remorse because of the implications of his actions, he’s more likely to make an adjustment in order to avoid landing in a similar position in the future,” said Dr. Charles.She further indicated that where the child is disciplined in an aggressive manner, he tends to end up feeling as though the parent despises him.   This, she argued, creates an even greater issue, as it may cause the child to begin to act out in an effort to get back at the parents for hurting him.“It is my belief that if conversations are had with the child to explain the impact of his actions, and the preferred courses of action are clearly outlined, the outcomes are far more satisfactory,” Dr. Charles said.“We believe that if parents are offered more viable alternatives to the measures that they have been accustomed to, there will be a reduction in the cases of abuse that happen as a result of anger and frustration,” explained Dr. Charles.Release: JIS Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more