Poverty increased in Vermont and across the nation in 2010: according to the US Census Bureau, over 76,000 Vermonters (including 1 in 6 children) are living below the poverty level ($22,314 for a family of four), with nearly 165,000 Vermonters (1 in 3 children) considered low-income (below 185% of poverty). Almost 93,000 Vermonters currently receive 3SquaresVT benefits (known nationally as SNAP), which, when added to income, lifted 26% of 3SquaresVT households out of poverty, ranking Vermont second in the nation for its program impact. 3SquaresVT continues to see rising participation as well as all-time high benefits, bringing over $11 million into the Vermont economy each month. ‘Whether it is the Great Recession or Tropical Storm Irene, 3SquaresVT is the most responsive safety net program in tough times,’ says Angela Smith-Dieng, 3SquaresVT Advocacy Manager at Hunger Free Vermont. ‘The extra money for food makes a critical difference for families ‘ it means more fruits and vegetables, lean meats and dairy on Vermonters’ tables, helping them stay healthy and better able to work and learn.’The Vermont Department for Children and Families (DCF) and the anti-hunger community have worked hard in recent years to ensure that more Vermonters needing access to healthy food are able to receive 3SquaresVT and that benefits are an adequate supplement for families on a tight budget. The USDA has consistently recognized Vermont for its hard work by awarding the State with performance bonuses for its success in reaching many of those eligible for benefits. ‘Since I started with the program in 2001 we have worked diligently to partner with anti-hunger organizations to do outreach on this program to remove participation barriers and stigma,’ says ReneÃ© Richardson, Director of Food and Nutrition Programs at DCF. ‘Thanks to this collaboration we have almost tripled our enrollment in the last ten years.’With so many Vermonters relying on 3SquaresVT and many more newly eligible, Congress must work to protect this critical nutrition program that combats hunger and poverty so well. As the Select Committee on Deficit Reduction meets this fall to consider ways to reduce spending, cuts to 3SquaresVT and other anti-hunger programs should not be part of the deal. About Hunger Free Vermont: Hunger Free Vermont (formerly the Vermont Campaign to End Childhood Hunger) is a statewide nonprofit organization that works with state agencies and community groups to end the injustice of hunger and malnutrition for all Vermonters. Since 1993 Hunger Free Vermont’s outreach programs have substantially enhanced Vermont’s nutrition safety net and increased access to nutritious foods. www.hungerfreevt.org(link is external)September 28, 2011 (Vermont) ‘
The Barclays Premier League leaders have been linked with Messi following claims in Spain this week that the 27-year-old’s relationship with Barca coach Luis Enrique has broken down. Assistant-coach Steve Holland believes the sums involved in luring Messi away from the Nou Camp make the transfer impossible for any club. Facing the media in place of absent manager Jose Mourinho, Holland said on Friday: “Jose has made it quite clear that in this window his expectation is that nobody comes and nobody goes. “I recall him this time last year saying a similar thing, but a couple of things happened that made us reactive. Manchester United made a huge bid for Juan Mata. Sometimes you have to react. “But the hope and expectation is that nobody leaves and nobody comes. We’re happy with what we have. “This club conforms with financial fair play – we’ve brought one or two players in over the last 12 months but it’s quite clear that players have been sold to balance the books. “When you look at the numbers being mentioned around the Messi deal, I think it’s almost an impossible deal for any club working within the restraints of financial fair play.” Holland spoke to the media after Mourinho had withdrawn from the press conference to preview Saturday’s Premier League clash with Newcastle at Stamford Bridge in response to be being charged with misconduct by the Football Association. Mourinho faces possible disciplinary action for the comments made about match officials after last month’s 1-1 draw with Southampton, in which he spoke of a “clear campaign” against Chelsea. The Portuguese claimed the campaign is being orchestrated by “people, pundits, commentators and coaches from other teams” and labelled the booking of Cesc Fabregas for diving at St Mary’s on December 28 a “scandal”. Holland insists Mourinho has not been affected by the possibility of facing disciplinary action and insists he has the full support of the club. “Jose has been fine, very focused on the game against Newcastle, as we all are,” Holland said. “There is a frustration with all of us, it’s not just Jose but the coaching staff and players, at the accumulation of events that surfaced at the Southampton game with the decisions over Cesc. And to compound that he received a booking. “The scrutiny managers are under these days… I spoke to another manager the other day about a different matter and he said he couldn’t remember there being such an intensive period of games as this season. “That’s a view I’d share. The amount of games has been relentless and there has been a small period of time between the games. “At Chelsea every match is high profile with many live on TV. It’s human nature that at times the leader has those moments. Jose’s had the right influence on the players and is a highly-experienced manager.” Chelsea have seen an eight-point lead at the summit of the Premier League reeled in by Manchester City and now top the table on alphabetical order alone ahead of Newcastle’s visit. “When you have a lead like we had, people make a lot of it. And when that lead goes, people make a lot of that,” Holland said. “Nobody here felt it was ever a conclusive margin that meant the story was over. This is the most competitive league in the world. At any moment points can be dropped. “We’re disappointed we don’t have more of a cushion now, but at the same time the players have had an incredible first half of the season.” Chelsea have distanced themselves from the prospect of making a £500million move for Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi. Press Association
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, February 27, 2017 – Providenciales – Police are investigating a number of firearm related incidents that occurred on Providenciales over the weekend. Around 11:26pm on Saturday 27th February 2017, complainant reported to the Police that he had just arrived home in an area in Five Cays, when he was approached by an unknown masked man dressed in full dark clothing with a gun in his hand and demanded money. The culprit struck him on the right side of his face with the gun after he told him he had no money. The victim was taken to the Cheshire Hall Medical Centre where he was treated and later discharged.At 1:53am on Sunday 26th February 2017, Police responded to an area on the Leeward Highway to a report of an Attempted Robbery and Discharging of Firearm. The complainant was met and told officers that he was alerted of someone in his yard and upon making checks he noticed three (3) masked men dressed in white clothes trying to break into his home. He also stated that they attempted to break into his neighbor’s house and fired three gunshots before making off. Checks were made in the area but no one was seen.Also on Sunday 26th February 2017 around 8:25 pm, Police responded to the an area on the South Dock Road and met a complainant who told officers that upon her arrival at home, she was approached by a masked short built dark male who came out of the bushes, pointed a gun at her and demanded money. The culprit escaped on foot with a brown MK purse which contained a small amount of cash and Insurance Cards. The victim was taken to the Cheshire Hall Medical Centre for treatment due to minor abrasions received on her arm. Investigations are ongoing in these incidence.If you have any information regarding these incidence, contact the police at Chalk Sound Police at 338-5901/941-8067 or contact Crimestoppers at 1-800-8477. The information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind you not to report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter page.Press Release: RTCIPF#MagneticMediaNews Recommended for you Related Items:#magneticmedianews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp ALERT # 2 ON POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE NINE ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY THURSDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2019 AT 9 PM EDT Electricity Cost of Service Study among the big agenda items at September 11 Cabinet meeting The Luxury of Grace Bay in Down Town Provo
The BJP on Monday gloated over Congress’ embarrassment following publication of articles critical of Jawaharlal Nehru and Sonia Gandhi in its mouthpiece, saying the “truth” it had been “hiding” has come out. Rubbing salt in the wound of ex-Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam, who is the editor of the journal, Union Minister Prakash Javadekar “congratulated” him and quipped he was known for such write-ups when he was the editor of the Hindi edition Shiv Sena mouthpiece ‘Dopahar Ka Saamana’. Nirupam, who was in Sena before he joined Congress, is also the president of Mumbai Regional Congress Committee, which publishes the magazine ‘Congress Darshan’. Though initially Nirupam sought to wash his hands off the controversy by claiming he had nothing to do with the articles, he later admitted the “mistake” and sacked the editorial content in-charge. Also Read – Punjab on alert after release of excess water from Bhakra dam“The Congress journal which is named Congress Darshan should be called ‘Satyarth Darshan’ (sight of truth). It is significant that it has come on the 131st foundation day of the party. Sardar Patel had maximum support in Congress to become the prime minister but Gandhiji proposed Nehru and kept Patel at a bay. “Patel merged 562 provinces into India and Nehru was in charge of only Kashmir and it remains a problem. Patel had warned about China’s betrayal on Tibet… This is not BJP or Javadekar saying so but the mouthpiece of Congress. What Congress had been hiding has come out. I congratulate Nirupam,” Javadekar said.
Kolkata: Eminent Tollywood actor Prasenjit Chatterjee has been summoned by the Enforcement Directorate (ED), in connection with the Rose Valley chit fund scam case. He has been asked to appear before the investigating officers on July 19 at the ED office in Salt Lake Central Government Office (CGO) Complex.According to sources, a few days ago ED sleuths had interrogated Rose Valley chief Gautam Kundu again in judicial custody. During the questioning, they acquired information regarding Chatterjee having some connection with Kundu. The actor was also seen in several programmes of Rose Valley. ED sleuths are investigating the case to identify whether any financial transaction was made between Chatterjee and Kundu. Chatterjee will be asked about his connection with Rose valley if he appears on July 19. Chatterjee said in response to the same on Tuesday: “I will definitely cooperate with the investigation.”