Social change was the theme of this year’s Radcliffe Day, the traditional event that follows Harvard’s Commencement ceremonies, during which present and past affiliates of the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study gather to celebrate its accomplishments and ponder future goals.The highlight of the session Friday (May 27) was the awarding of the Radcliffe Institute Medal, which is given to someone whose life and work have benefited society. This year’s recipient was Ela Bhatt, who has dedicated her life to helping women in India lead more empowered, more fulfilled, and healthier lives.“Transformation comes from within,” said Bhatt, whose union work with the Self Employed Women’s Association (SEWA) of India has transformed the lives of more than a million women in her country.In 1972, Bhatt founded SEWA to help protect women from unfair, exploitative labor practices. The women she organized were part of the informal sector, working in fields such as construction, agriculture, and domestic labor. Her organization now has 1.3 million members and has grown to offer services such as micro-loans, health and life insurance, and child care, all overseen by more than 100 women-run cooperatives.“When women have an income of their own, they are able to fight their own battles in their own way. For that, economic freedom is the key,” said Bhatt.Although her workers still occupy the “margins” of society, “it’s from the margins,” said Bhatt, “that real transformation comes to the center.” Successful, supported work isn’t just the key to economic freedom, said Bhatt. It gives people roots, builds communities, gives meaning to life, and is “the foundation of peace.”“In my experience,” said Bhatt, “women are the key to building holistic communities.”Known as the gentle revolutionary, Bhatt’s philosophy mirrors that of Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi, who guided the nation to independence from Britain through a policy of determined, nonviolent resistance.Gandhi’s message “was easily acceptable by the local common people,” said Bhatt in an interview earlier in the day. His wisdom, she said, derived “from the wisdom of soil,” and from simple traditions like “truth, the dignity of labor, looking at the cost of human values, and simplicity.”Simplicity, she said, was the value she admired most. It’s not always the case, said Bhatt, that “complexity is progress.”Past award recipients include tennis great Billie Jean King, former U.S. Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, and opera superstar Jessye Norman.Lani Guinier ’71 (left), the Bennett Boskey Professor of Law at Harvard Law School, said she looks to her students for inspiration. “Social change,” she said, comes in part from identifying and collaborating with “young, energized spirits who are moving in the right direction.”In the morning, Radcliffe fellows, friends, and former students gathered at the American Repertory Theater’s Loeb Drama Center for a panel discussion titled “Making a World of Difference.”One panelist was Abigail English ’71, RI ’11, the 2010-11 Frieda L. Miller Fellow at the institute, whose research examines the sexual exploitation and trafficking of adolescents. She said transformative social change hinges on two concepts.“It requires empowering a sense of a personal stake in the well-being of others,” she said, as well as creating “a sense of hope that action can make a difference.”Lani Guinier ’71, the first woman of color appointed to a tenured professorship at Harvard Law School, and Bennett Boskey Professor of Law, said she looks to her students for inspiration.“Social change,” she said, comes in part from identifying and collaborating with “young, energized spirits who are moving in the right direction.”During the afternoon luncheon, held under a tent in Radcliffe Yard, outgoing Dean Barbara J. Grosz received a standing ovation from the crowd and words of praise from Harvard President Drew Faust, herself a former Radcliffe dean.Faust lauded Grosz, who is also Higgins Professor of Natural Sciences at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, for further integrating the institute with the University, and with other academic fields, particularly science.“She has made [science] an absolute core part of this institution in ways that have been imaginative and innovative and now are essential to the Radcliffe Institute’s identity,” said Faust.President Drew Faust lauded outgoing Dean Barbara J. Grosz, who is also Higgins Professor of Natural Sciences at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, for further integrating the institute with the University, and with other academic fields, particularly science.
Stock Image.BUFFALO — A Sinclairville man plead guilty to a drug conspiracy charge Friday, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.Tracy Griffin, 38, made the plea before U.S. District Judge Richard J. Arcara to conspiring to possess with intent to distribute, and distributing, acetyl fentanyl, fentanyl, and crack cocaine. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, and a $1,000,000 fine.Assistant U.S. Attorney Joshua A. Violanti, who is handling the case, stated that in January 2019, the defendant, and co-defendant Brandon Blackshear, conspired to sell acetyl fentanyl, fentanyl, and crack cocaine. On January 2 and January 22, 2019, members of the Southern Tier Regional Drug Task Force conducted controlled purchases of crack cocaine from Griffin and Blackshear.Charges remain pending against Brandon Blackshear. The fact that a defendant has been charged with a crime is merely an accusation and the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty. The plea is the result of an investigation by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, under the direction of Jason Thompson, Associate Director of the Office of Justice Services; the Southern Regional Drug Task Force, under the direction of the Cattaraugus County Sheriff’s Office and Sheriff Timothy Whitcomb; and the Drug Enforcement Administration, under the direction of Special Agent-in-Charge Ray Donovan, New York Field Division.Sentencing is scheduled for October 29, 2020, at 12:30 p.m. before Judge Arcara. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Mikel remains bitter over refereeâ€™s refusal to give a second penaltyDuro IkhazuagbeÂ in St PetersburgAfter exiting the ongoing FIFA World Cup here in RussiaÂ on TuesdayÂ nightÂ with the 2-1 loss to Argentina, some members of the Super Eagles are expected to touch down in Nigeria today.Eagles who narrowly lost the Group D second ticket to the Lionel Messi inspired South American nation, left Moscow for Lagos yesterday morning via Dubai on an Emirates flight. Nigeria Football Federation’s (NFF) Second Vice President, Shehu Dikko, accompanied the players on the flight to Nigeria in company with some other top sports officials.However, it was not all the 23 players who were in Russia for the Mundial that are going to arrive in Nigeria today. Most of the Europe-based players, NFF sources here confirmed left for their respective cities to join their families on vacations before heading to pre-season training camps.Â â€œThe NFF will meet with the coaches of the team later next week to discuss the programme for the Africa of Nations Cup qualifiers starting next month.Meanwhile, Captain of the team, John Mikel Obi, remains very said over the decision of Turkish referee, Cuneyt Cakir not to award Nigeria a deserved second penalty.Â ”I don’t understand how that wasn’t a penalty, for me it was a clear handball, clear penalty,” Mikel said at the post-match press conferenceÂ on TuesdayÂ night.”If you watched the Portugal match, that wasn’t even close to this, this was even worse, this was open, clear case of a penalty. The ball hit Marcos Rojoâ€™s hand,â€ stressed the former Chelsea midfielder.Mikel said that the fact that Nigeria had been awarded a penalty earlier in the game did not over rule another one if it was a deserved one.”A penalty is a penalty, if you give the first one, you can still give a penalty, we have seen it again in the dressing room, it was a clear penalty, so there wasn’t any way the referee couldn’t give the penalty.”He (referee) looked at the VAR and told me the ball hit the player’s hand,” concludes the Tianji Teda player in the Chinese Super League.Â Â REACTIONS TO OUSTERâ€¦*GERNOT ROHRWe have a very young team that still lacks experience. We will come back strongerÂ in four years.Â (On VAR)I donâ€™t know why the centre referee didnâ€™t give Nigeria penalty for the ball handled in the box by Argentine Marcos Rojo. It was not different from the same handball that earned Portugal a penalty against Iran.(On use of Bryan Idowu)When you haveÂ Â players like Lionel (Messi),Â Â Sergio (Aguero),Â Â Higuain, Dybala etc, you need players who can withstand the pressure without necessarily getting booked. We had two penalties in our first two matchesÂ Â and tried to avoid having set pieces against us. Previous goals against Nigeria came from purely set pieces. We didnâ€™t want any foul in our goal area.Â (On Continuity)I hope I can still continue to be around. I have a fantastic team here that can be better with time.Â *JOHN MIKEL OBIÂ Young team. We did well but was unable to achieve what we wanted.Â In four yearsÂ the team will be better and ready for the world. Iâ€™ve never been part of such a fun squad with such great and sociable players before. Ever since the coach joined us, weâ€™ve had a great time. The players listen to him and want to improve, and thatâ€™s important for Nigerian football.*WILLIAM TROOST EKONGÂ Hard to describe in words how that felt. It was an emotional rollercoaster. We gave everything against Argentina last night. Iâ€™m grateful and proud to have represented Nigeria and all Nigerians at this World Cup. But most of all I am humbled and thank God for bringing me this farÂ *LEON BALOGUNÂ We showed the world that Nigeria has talented players. We showed that we are a footballing nation, and if the team stays together I hope that we can give an even better account of ourselvesÂ in four yearsâ€™ time.Â *VICTOR MOSESÂ A Sad, disappointing evening. Tough defeatÂ ODION IGHALOÂ Itâ€™s a sad day for me, the boys and the country because we went out in a bad manner and we deserved more in the game. Nobody criticised me, itâ€™s a teamwork. We are 23 players fighting for a single thing. Even if I am criticised, Iâ€™ll take it in good faith.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Sports betting technology supplier FSB has issued a corporate statement on the website of white label sportsbook Black Type (BlackType.bet), confirming that the racing specialist bookmaker has entered administration and will ‘wind down all business affairs’.Black Type management’s decision has forced FSB to take control of the sportsbook to protect all customer funds and honour all open wagers.“We want to assure you that this will not impact the account that you hold on the BlackType.bet website or app,” read FSB’s statement. “Your funds are safe and any unsettled bets or pending withdrawals will continue to be honoured by FSB as they always have been.”As the white-label supplier of Black Type’s UK sportsbook licence, FSB informs customers that the bookmaker operated as a ‘marketing partner promoting its wagering services’.“The terms and conditions on the BlackType.bet website make it clear that you are gambling with FSB and that FSB is the merchant of record for all deposits and withdrawals,” it added.“What this news means for you as a customer using the BlackType branded website and mobile apps is that you will not be affected in any way. Your standing remains unaffected and you can continue to use your account as normal.”The Black Type brand was founded by the enterprise team of Dave Gowers (CEO) and Craig Nicholson (COO) in 2016, launching the UK’s first racing specific sportsbook on the FSB platform.Seeking to cater for ‘underserved’ UK pro racing punters, Black Type management emphasised that the bookmaker would ‘never restrict winning accounts’.Gowers and Nicholson would depart the business in 2018, with former Totesport executive Keith Oliver taking leadership of Black Type new Chief Executive.It has been reported that the increased regulatory pressures on the betting sector pushed Black Type management into administration. FSB teams up with Cricket.com to launch predictions game June 18, 2020 Share Related Articles StumbleUpon Mark Wilson: How FSB is meeting the recreational cricket punter’s demands August 20, 2020 Share Submit FSB selects Glenn Elliott as new COO August 12, 2020
Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Photo by Steve Sturgis.Submitted to Sumner Newscow â€” Allison McCue was named 2016 Impact Bank Student of the Year for Wellington High School. Throughout the 2015-16 academic year, WHS presents a Student of the Month.Each school selects their overall winner from the monthly winners, using their own criteria. Impact Bank presentedÂ the awardee with a gift basket. WHS Principal Adam Hatfield presents the “basket” full of goodies to McCue Tuesday morning. There will be Students of the Year at the other facilities.Â Follow us on Twitter.